How to Calculate Child Support
The following steps will help you calculate the amount of child support each party pays.
- Decide how many children require support.
- Decide if the calculation will be based on a shared custody or a sole custody basis.
- Determine the gross income of each party and give either party a credit for any money paid pursuant to another child support order or for any other children that live with the party.
- Look at the schedule of monthly child support obligations in Section 20-108.2 of the Code of Virginia, 1950, as amended.
- Determine the amount of child day care, if any, and the cost to insure the child.
After acquiring all information, calculate support pursuant to the sole or shared custody formula.