Skip to main content
4.7 Average on Google
Defense Base Act
Trust Montagna Law for strong legal support in Virginia, prioritizing your needs, goals, and rightful compensation.
A Soldier Walking Across A Dirt Road With A Backpack

Industrial Accident

Slip and Fall

Car Accident

Truck Accident

Virginia Defense Base Act Attorneys

In war zones, civilian contractors working as mechanics, translators, electricians and other support personnel often face the same dangers as the military. If you’re injured while working as a civilian contractor for a company supporting the United States military in Iraq, Afghanistan, Kuwait, or elsewhere, you may be entitled to compensation under the Defense Base Act.

The Defense Base Act was created in 1941 to provide compensation for U.S. civilian contractors injured while serving the U.S. military or government overseas. Unfortunately, employees often do not have the time or resources to fight federally supervised insurance companies, and employers may neglect their legal responsibilities.

Let us work on recovering compensation while you work on recovering from your injuries.

Call (877) 622-8100 or complete the online contact form to request a free consultation.

Top 10 reward badge for Montagna law
10 Best Attorneys reward badge from the American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys
Winning Badge for NAOPIA 2024
Award winner Badge for the American association of attorney 2024
    Customer Reviews

    What Our Clients Say

    Quote Mark
    If you’re looking for someone who’s professional, attentive, serious, caring, and negotiable than Mr. Anthony Montagna is who you need. He understood his assignment and delivered well especially being with what I was looking at in my case. I want …
    – Tiara S.
    Quote Mark
    I don’t know how he does it, but this man is a monster in the courtroom. I’ll admit I had fears of the outcome of my case, but when I was with Mr. Montagna in front of a judge. My confidence started to raise. Extremely professional and how he hand…
    – BD P.
    Quote Mark
    Honestly , Mr. Montagna treats like you are his family the way he cares, he takes care of his people , I was doing triple digit speed on a 60 and lord I thought it was over for me in that courtroom , he’s a genius because I literally got away with…
    – Justin
    Quote Mark
    I have been a client of Montagna Law since 2014. Because the customer service is exceptional, I have established a rapport with everyone in the office. As a customer for 8 years, it is noted that this firm goes above and beyond for the clients.
    – Eric E.
    Quote Mark
    Montagna Law are wonderful attorneys. I was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer and they assisted me from day one when I contacted them. I highly recommend their services! Thanks guy’s and gal’s for your services!
    – Kevin B

      Defense Base Act Claims in Virginia

      If you believe you have a Defense Base Act claim, contact the lawyers of Montagna Law to discuss your case. Our experienced team of defense base act lawyers can help you get the compensation you deserve. Our attorneys are very familiar with DBA settlements and we work on a contingency fee basis, meaning that we don’t get paid unless you win. If you or a loved one has been injured while working as a civilian contractor for the U.S. government or military, don’t hesitate to contact the DBA lawyers of Montagna Law.

      Many companies, such as KBR, L-3 Communications, Prime Projects International, Blackwater, CSA, CACI, CSA, Ltd., Triple Canopy, Kellogg, Bechtel, Service Employees International, Halliburton, Brown & Root, Dyncorp, EG&G, and others have been contracted by the U.S. Government, which frequently puts their employees in harm’s way.

      Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), the loss of limbs, and health conditions caused by exposure to toxic substances are a few of the many types of grievances often filed by civilian contractors working overseas.

      Additionally, under the Defense Base Act, individuals can be compensated for hearing loss caused by noise on the job. These claims may result from proximity to explosions from ammunition or long term exposure to large equipment such as tanks, bulldozers and jet engines. For additional information on hearing loss claims click here.

      Civilian contractors are often brought in to help U.S. military forces around the world in Afghanistan, Guam, Saudi Arabia, Japan, Kuwait, Spain, Hungary, Turkey, Germany, Korea, Italy and elsewhere. Likewise, U.S. workers are hired to build U.S. embassies and government buildings in foreign countries like Soviet Union, England, and the Kyrgyzstan.

      Defense Base Act Lawyers: Defense Base Act Can Provide Regular Benefits

      DBA claimants are eligible to receive weekly benefits for time lost from work, dependent benefits for workers who were killed, and coverage for all medical bills and expenses. Depending on the particulars of your case, you may also be entitled to permanent disability benefits and, in some cases, payments for loss of wage earning capacity.

      In many instances, someone other than your employer is responsible for your injuries. The Defense Base Act attorneys of Montagna Law will make sure all guilty parties pay for their faults. That’s the law practice we’re known for.

      If you or a loved one has been injured while working as a civilian contractor for the United States government, it is important that you seek legal help immediately. Do not settle with the insurance company before speaking to a Defense Base Act attorney. The attorneys of Montagna Law are very familiar with DBA settlements, and will fight for every penny you deserve.

      Our Defense Base Act attorneys represent injured or disabled workers on a contingency fee basis. This means that we don’t get paid unless you win. We’re very confident in our ability to get you the benefits you deserve.

      For a free consultation to discuss your Defense Base Act claim, contact the Defense Base Act attorneys of Montagna Law at 877-622-8100. Time limits apply to filing a claim. Make sure you maintain your rights — Call Now.

      Why Choose Montagna Law as Your Personal Injury Lawyer?

      We Get Results

      Montagna Law is a leading personal injury law firm in Norfolk, Virginia and has an extensive history of helping our clients recover maximum compensation allowed under the law. We’ve won big for our clients. Let us do the same for you.

      We Never Use Copy-and-Paste Solutions

      You will never have to worry about feeling like just a number at Montagna Law. Every case and client that comes to us is different and we never use a cookie-cutter defense. Each of our clients receives one-on-one personal attention as we take the time to get to know you and your situation and offer a fresh and individualized approach.

      Leaders in Personal Injury Law

      We have decades of experience working with personal injury and auto accident cases. We’ve successfully fought for hundreds of clients and we can fight for you too.

      We Protect Your Best Interest

      Employers and insurance companies will try to trick you in order to pay the lowest possible amount no matter how severe your injuries or significant your expenses. Our personal injury lawyers will keep them from taking advantage of you and always maintain your best interest.

      Free Consulatation & No Fee for PI, Work Comp, and SSDI Cases Unless We Win

      We have a zero-dollar, no-obligation consultation policy. Our fees are recovered from the money awarded to you. You will not owe us a thing until we have reached a settlement or judgment in your favor.

      Contact us now and we will guide you through your rights and the steps you should take now to get the best outcome for your future.

      Defense Base Act (DBA) FAQ

      What is the Defense Base Act (DBA)?

      The Defense Base Act extends the coverage of the Longshore Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act (LHWCA) to civilian employees under contract with the U.S. government performing work overseas. The law provides medical care and compensation for injuries, and death benefits to eligible survivors. Please contact the law firm of Montagna Law if you have any questions about your case.

      Who is Covered Under the DBA?

      You are covered by the Defense Base Act if you fit into one of the following four criteria:

      1. Work for private employers on U.S. military bases or on any lands used by the U.S. for military purposes outside of the United States, including those in U.S. Territories and possessions;
      2. Work on public work contracts with any U.S. government agency, including construction and service contracts in connection with national defense or with war activities outside the United States;
      3. Work on contracts approved and funded by the U.S. under the Foreign Assistance Act, which among other things provides for cash sale of military equipment, materials, and services to its allies, if the contract is performed outside of the United States;
      4. Work for American employers providing welfare or similar services outside the United States for the benefit of the Armed Services, e.g. the United Service Organizations (USO)

      What Types of Benefits Are Available Under the DBA?

      Covered employees injured during the course of employment are entitled to receive compensation for temporary total disability at the rate of two-thirds their average weekly earnings, up to a current maximum rate per week. Compensation is also available for partial loss of earnings.

      If your loved one dies as a result of an injury on the job, you are entitled to death benefits. Death benefits are paid at the rate of one-half of the employee’s average weekly earnings to a surviving spouse or one child, or two-thirds of average weekly wage for two or more eligible survivors up to the current maximum rate per week. The Defense Base Act also entitles family members to receive money for funeral expenses up to $3,000.

      Permanent total disability and death benefits may be payable for life, and are subject to annual cost of living adjustments. The injured employee is also entitled to medical treatment by a physician of his/her choice, as the injury may require.

      Can Aliens and Non-U.S. Residents Receive DBA Benefits?

      Yes, aliens and non-U.S. residents may receive benefits under the Defense Base Act, but there are some limitations regarding the amount. We invite you to contact the attorneys of Montagna Law now to make sure you receive the compensation you deserve.

      What Should I Do if I Get Injured at Work?

      You should notify your employer immediately. If you need medical treatment, ask your employer to authorize treatment by a doctor of your choice.

      How Do I Obtain Medical Treatment for My Injuries?

      If you need medical treatment for your work injury, ask your employer to authorize treatment by a doctor of your choice. If it is an emergency or if you are unable to contact your employer, go to the nearest hospital or physician, but be sure to let your employer know as soon as possible.

      How Do I Obtain Compensation for My Disability?

      If you are disabled more than three days, contact your employer or the insurance company for payment of compensation, which is payable 14 days after your employer has knowledge of injury.

      How Do I Give Notice of My Injury to My Employer?

      Give written notice of your injury to your employer on Form LS-201 (Notice of Employee’s Injury or Death) within 30 days. Additional time is provided for certain hearing loss and occupational disease claims.The law firm of Montagna Law is dedicated to serving you from beginning to end. Call us now, and have an experienced lawyer handle the paperwork while you recover.

      How Do I File a Claim for Compensation Based on My Injury?

      File a written claim for compensation with the OWCP district office having jurisdiction of your claim on Form LS-203 (Employee’s Claim for Compensation) within one year after the date of injury or last payment of compensation, whichever is later.Montagna Law will help you file your claim quickly. Call the law firm of Montagna Law now.

      How Do I Obtain Death Benefits?

      Give written notice of the employee’s death to the employer on Form LS-201 (Notice of Employee’s Injury or Death) within 30 days. File a written claim for compensation on Form LS-262 (Claim for Death Benefits) with the OWCP district office having jurisdiction of your claim within one year after the date of the employee’s death.Call our law offices for help during this stressful time. We’ll file all the paperwork.

      What if the Parties to the Claim Are Unable to Resolve Their Dispute(s) Informally?

      If the parties are unable to resolve their dispute(s) informally, they may request referral of the claim to the Office of Administrative Law Judges (OALJ) for formal hearing. Decisions rendered by the administrative law judge may be appealed to the Benefits Review Board and thereafter, depending on where the claim is administered, to the U.S. District Court or to the U.S. Court of Appeals. Montagna Law has the necessary experience to help you with your claim. Contact us now for a free consultation.