Divorce is the second most stressful life event (behind the death of a spouse), and for good reason. It involves an upheaval of the needs and feelings of not just the warring spouses, but also of any children involved. That’s why it’s so important that you hire a competent, calm and experienced family law and divorce lawyer to handle the proceedings. Don’t be afraid to “shop around” for an attorney with all five of the following qualities.
A divorce attorney should be…
- Part of a well-established practice with a positive track record. While there is a certain amount of confidentiality that goes along with divorce legal proceedings, you’re bound to come across referrals from friends who have gone through a similar experience. Those referrals may help separate the reputable lawyers from the ones with fewer cases under their belts. Online reviews are also useful.
- Punctual and responsive. Your attorney should not be so overloaded with clients that he or she doesn’t have time to respond to your requests and inquiries in a timely manner.
- Enough of a “bulldog” to champion your interests, but calm enough to command respect. What kind of reputation does a prospective divorce attorney have within the legal community? Does he or she have a habit of reacting based on emotion instead of acting based on facts and the client’s best interests? The answers to those questions can often determine whether or not you get the ruling you deserve.
- Empathetic and understanding. Again, divorce is stressful and quite emotional. It’s critical that you hire a lawyer who can encourage you and be your advocate without getting drawn into the emotional frenzy themselves (see number 3).
- Surrounded with competent staff. If your divorce lawyer is anyone to speak of, he or she will have other clients who need attention just like you do. That’s why it’s best to hire a lawyer with a highly knowledgeable legal support team to answer your questions and address your needs.
The family law and divorce lawyers at Montagna Law make it a point to model our firm around these five qualities. We recognize the importance of our clients’ unique needs, feelings and circumstances, and do our very best to provide caring, productive legal counsel to people in Hampton Roads, Virginia. Considering divorce? Call us toll free to schedule a free initial legal consultation at (877) 622-8100 or contact us online. An experienced divorce lawyer will contact you shortly.
Written By Jon Montagna
Jon Montagna received a Bachelor of Arts in Literature from American University in Washington D.C. and graduated Cum Laude from the University of Miami School of Law in 1999. Jon practices law in the Hampton Roads Virginia area.